Monday, July 2, 2012

UP Rings the NYSE Closing Bell to Commemorate 150 Years

I know I already did my post on Union Pacific's 150th Anniversary and included a little history, but today we actually got to celebrate that day, and it was really quite awesome. 
Our banner hanging at the NYSE
When I got to work in the morning, I was greeted by employees handing out complimentary copies of Time magazine that included two of our full page ads and a Birthday Doughnut! Woot to the doughnuts! I WAS quite hungry when I got to work, so it was my lucky day!

Then, in the early afternoon, over 2,000 employees from the headquarters headed down to the atrium and dining hall and all the surrounding areas to view the live broadcast from the New York Stock Exchange where our CEO, CFO, and 11 other employees would be ringing the closing bell. Back in Omaha, we were each given our own little commemorative bell with the "UP 150" logo on it along with the date of this NYSE event.

The event at the headquarters was kicked off by our Chairman, Jim Young, saying a few words to everyone from a podium in the headquarters atrium. He took a little time to congratulate everyone on their achievements and saying how proud he was and how he just couldn't miss this event and the chance to celebrate with us all. It was so great (and surprising to me) to see him, as it was just about 4 months ago when we were told the news that he would be taking a medical leave of absence from being our CEO due to his diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. Since then, we haven't really heard anything about how he is doing. Other than being told that he is going through treatments during our 1st quarter earnings release, no one has really said anything. (I'm not sure if it's because there are certain ways these things have to be handled with such a large, public company and their top executives and having to disclose if we discuss his health or what, but it's a little strange how little is said about it.) But anyways, it was so great to see him. When he was introduced and took the podium, he was greeted with the longest and loudest applause from every single person on the first two levels of the open atrium. With his face being zoomed in on and showing on every screen in the lobby, you could see just how emotional he was about being there and the reception he was getting from everyone. I can truly say that he is a respected individual at our company and has done amazing things to lead UP and he deserved every second of the applause he received. It made me tear up to see how he was received by everyone and see the emotions it made him feel and just imagining all that he has been through over the past few months. What a great start to the ceremony!

After a few words from Jim and a few words from our EVP of Operations, Lance Fritz, the live video cut to New York for some interviews with our CEO, Jack Koraleski, and CFO, Rob Knight.
The UP employees preparing to ring the bell
Then, right before 3:00, the video showed the 11 employees that were chosen to be there along with our two executives getting ready to ring the bell. When it was time, they rang the bell and, along with that, an all too appropriate locomotive horn blew along with the ringing of the bell. And here in Omaha, as they rang the bell, gobs of red white and blue confetti burst out into the atrium.  It really was an amazing thing to be a part of. I can honestly say that I am so proud to work for this company! Here's to the next 150 years of Building America!
The view of the UP Center's main floor atrium with the confetti
streaming down to commemorate the ringing of the closing bell.
Visit Union Pacific Railroads Facebook page for more photos and details.
Also visit the UP150 site for all things related to Union Pacific's 150th Anniversary!

Pictures taken from UPRR's Facebook page and UPOnline

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Haha. Sorry, Grace. I'll keep you in mind next time I think about mentioning food ;) Although I will be writing about the fruit pizza Trent made me for my birthday, so if that's something that you may crave, I apologize in advance!

      Delete