Thursday, September 1, 2016

Samuel's First Year - In Numbers!

Throughout Samuel's first year, I used an app on my phone (Baby Connect) to track everything that he did. I got made fun of quite a bit by different people for doing it, but I really don't think I could have done without it at times!

I think I have a pretty good memory for the most part, but when it came to remembering the last time that I fed Samuel when he was eating constantly as a newborn or remembering when his last diaper change was or what he weighed at his doctor's appointment 4 months ago, it all just would have jumbled together in my brain!!

With this app, I was able to track everything he did daily: nursing, diaper changes, bottles, sleeping, bathing, details from doctor's appointments, temperatures, medicines, food, milestones, and when and how much I would pump - among other things. So when we were at the doctor's office in the first few months of his life and they asked me about how many wet diapers he had in a day or how many times he ate in a day, I didn't even have to guess, I could pull out my phone and look! I also put in when we give him medicine so I don't have to worry about remembering when the last time was that we gave him something (I even used it for myself right after Samuel was born when I was taking a few pills and vitamins and things) I would track everything that he ate as well, so if he would have ever had a weird reaction one day, I could see what he ate the prior day or so and we could make a more educated guess of whether it was the food or something else that was causing the issue.

Now, the app was wonderful and I LOVED having all that information, but it has become quite a chore to be sure that I had everything in there, especially now that he's eating more active and eating more food and stuff!So, even though it makes me kind of sad, I decided that I was going to stop tracking everything after he turned one. I still track a few things, like his nightly sleep, doctor's appointments, nursing and pumping, but soon I will be done pumping and eventually done nursing, so I can see it turning into just doctor appointment, medication and any other milestones I want to record.

So, since my diligent recording efforts have come to an end, I thought I'd share Samuel's stats for the first year of Samuel's life. I pretty much started on the 23rd of August 2015 (so I didn't start until he was about a day and a half old) and these stats below are through the 22nd of August, 2016. I don't have full information from when he stayed with Nana and Papa in July (I was nice and didn't make them track everything that he did for those four days :) ) and I'm sure we've missed a few things here and there, but I think I have a pretty accurate picture of Samuel's first year!

Samuel in his bed at 1 day and 1 year old!


Sleep
He slept 1,669 times (4.6 times per day)
He spent 189 days of his first year of life sleeping (51.6% of the year) 

Nursing
Samuel nursed 1,837 times in his first year (5 times per day)
Spent 16 days of his life nursing (Or I've spent 16 days of his life nursing him!)

Diapers
He has had his diaper changed 2,679 times (7+ times per day)
435 of those have been poopy diapers (1.2 poopy diapers per day)

Bottles
He has had 595 bottles and drank 23.5 Gallons of milk out of a bottle
He averaged 5.1 ounces per bottle

Pumping
I have pumped 696 times (mostly from November to August) and I have pumped 27.8 gallons of milk!!
I have spent 11 days of my life in the last year attached to a breast pump
This means that I have spent 27 days of the last year have been spent feeding Samuel

I'm sure this next year will be filled with more poopy diapers, a lot of food eating and hopefully the same amount of sleep!!
What a year it has been!! 

2 comments:

  1. This is so fun to read! I'd never keep up with tracking it, but I'd love to see how many hours Eliana has nursed at this point! So neat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so fun to read! I'd never keep up with tracking it, but I'd love to see how many hours Eliana has nursed at this point! So neat. :)

    ReplyDelete