Friday, January 24, 2014

Favorite Song Friday #1 - "All You've Ever Wanted"

I read quite a few blogs each day because that's a fun thing for me. Probably because they are always showing off the cool projects they do and their beautiful houses and their good ideas and I like to try to replicate what they're doing if it's something that I like. I'm not a very creative-minded person (hence the job dealing with math and numbers - just facts... not much creativity here!) but I do like to do some creative things, if someone else gives me the idea and shows me how to do it!

A lot of the blogs I read have recurring, weekly posts that have some theme: like to share about food or recipes, to share fun new products that they like, workouts they're doing, an encouraging story they've heard, etc. Here's some examples of some of the ones that pop up on my blog feed throughout the week:

Menu Monday with Lovely Little Snippets
What I'm Loving Wednesday with This Kind of Love
She Loves Me, She Loves Me Not with Michaela Noelle Designs
Workout Wednesday with Skinny Meg
Thriving Thursday with Serving Joyfully
Proverbs 31 Thursdays with Raising Mighty Arrows
Five on Friday with Hello! Happiness
Confessional Friday with A Blonde Ambition
High Five for Friday with The Small Things Blog

I have been thinking lately about a lot of songs that I like and how I occasionally like to share them on my blog. Not only to share them with my friends and family who read my posts but also so I can go back in time and see what favorite songs I had throughout time and read about why I liked them at that moment.

Therefore, in my head, Favorite Song Friday was born!

So without further ado... I bring you the first edition of Favorite Song Friday!

My first favorite is Casting Crowns' song, "All You've Ever Wanted." This song has been one of my favorites since it was released about 5 months or so ago and it has never gotten old to me. On top of just being a beautiful song (and the fact that Casting Crowns is one of my favorite groups), the song has such a simple, clear, and impactful message. The song is about the fact that most of us live our lives every day fighting battles with ourselves that are already over and won for us by God. I know that is something I have struggled with. Some days I am overrun with the guilt that I feel about my past sins. And this song, which, many times, seems to be played at just the right time, reminds me that God doesn't want anything from me but for me to give Him my heart. All I have to do is ask Him to forgive me, and it's done. He doesn't hold on to the memories of what I've done, so why should I? God doesn't need me to go out and do any good deeds or cure cancer or convince every person on Earth that I am wonderful (not that all those are bad things to do anyway), he just wants me to lay my life down for Him. The thought of that takes my breath away and brings tears to my eyes. God doesn't want anything from us, he just wants us to give ourselves to Him and live our lives each day for Him. It's just that simple. God is so good!

The lyrics that I love are:
"But all my deeds and my good name
Are just dirty rags that tear and strain
To cover all my guilty stains
That You already washed away"


You can listen to the song by clicking here or watching it below.
I hope you enjoy and I hope it makes an impact on you like it has to me!
Happy Friday!


Full Lyrics
I just looked up today
And realized how far away I am from where You are
You gave me life worth dying for
But between the altar and the door
I bought the lies that promised more
And here I go again

Lord, I know I let You down
But somehow, I will make You proud
I'll turn this sinking ship around
And make it back to You

But all my deeds and my good name
Are just dirty rags that tear and strain
To cover all my guilty stains
That You already washed away

('Cause) All You've ever wanted, all You've ever wanted
All You've ever wanted was my heart
Freedom's arms are open, my chains have all been broken
Relentless love has called me from the start
And all You wanted was my heart

I was chasing healing when I'd been made well
I was fighting battles when You conquered hell
Living free but from a prison cell
Lord, I lay it down today

So I'll stop living off of how I feel
And start standing on Your truth revealed
Jesus is my strength, my shield
And He will never fail me

No more chains, I've been set free
No more fighting battles You've won for me
Now in Christ, I stand complete

No comments:

Post a Comment