The song that I want to share as one of my favorites this week is "Overcome" by Jeremy Camp. This song came out way back in 2010, but it's just one of those songs you can close your eyes and listen to and really feel the meaning of it in your heart.
Jeremy Camp is one of my all time favorite artists, if not my real favorite. I love his story and I love his music and I love the truth and conviction that he shares in his songs.
I have seen Jeremy Camp in concert twice. Once with Trent and my BFF, Lauren, and once with my Mom. Both times, he sang this song, and it was one of the most special parts of the evening. When he gets the part in the song where he sings, "We will overcome by the blood of the Lamb and the word of our testimony, we will overcome" several times over and over, everyone in the crowd hold hands and raises them up and sings the words together. It is amazing how much lifting your hands and closing your eyes and singing words like that can bring you to a totally different place. I don't know how to explain it, but it's like it just makes everything okay. All that has happened and is happening to us in the world can just disappear. It's like you can feel God saying, "Don't worry. I have this under control. I know you're hurting now and sometimes life can suck, but I've got this!" (Sorry for saying "suck," Mom)
After I chose that I wanted to share this song today, I Googled what the story behind the song was, and the song was actually written by Jon Egan, who leads the Desperation Band, right after the 2007 shooting at New Life Church in Colorado Springs, the church where the band led worship. The song focuses on the fact that Christ, who is perfect, suffered and died for us, but has overcame death and we, too, can overcome our hardships here on Earth.
John 16:33 says "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on Earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
In other words:
The power of the world, the realm controlled by Satan, was defeated when Jesus accepted his Father's will to go to the Cross. He broke and defeated the power of sin and death. He brought life and immortality to light. He insured that death would not have the final say. So in the middle of sorrows and trials, we can take heart and have peace. Not because things are easy, but because the hard things of this life are temporary and are preparing for us an eternal glory. Our peace is not in the absence of strife or troubles, but in Jesus and what he has done to make our future sure! (source)
In other words:
The power of the world, the realm controlled by Satan, was defeated when Jesus accepted his Father's will to go to the Cross. He broke and defeated the power of sin and death. He brought life and immortality to light. He insured that death would not have the final say. So in the middle of sorrows and trials, we can take heart and have peace. Not because things are easy, but because the hard things of this life are temporary and are preparing for us an eternal glory. Our peace is not in the absence of strife or troubles, but in Jesus and what he has done to make our future sure! (source)
And how amazing is that!
Jeremy Camp has a book, I Still Believe, that he wrote about his life and testimony and how he came to be where he is today. One of the bigger events in his life was losing his first wife to ovarian cancer just months after they were married. Just like his songs, this book provides inspiration, insight, and encouragement to anyone who has experienced loss. I started reading this book just a few weeks before my dad passed away and finished it shortly after. It has so many comforting and thought provoking things within it that really put things into perspective, and I really recommend it to everyone.
Take a moment and close your eyes and just sit and listen to this song. I hope this song brings comfort to you as it does to me.
Take a moment and close your eyes and just sit and listen to this song. I hope this song brings comfort to you as it does to me.
Seated above, enthroned in the Father's love
Destined to die, poured out for all mankind
Destined to die, poured out for all mankind
God's only Son, perfect and spotless one
He never sinned but suffered as if He did
All authority
Every victory is Yours
All authority
Every victory is Yours
Savior, worthy of honor and glory
Worthy of all our praise, You overcame
Jesus, awesome in power forever
Awesome and great is Your name, You overcame
Power in hand speaking the Father's plan
You're sending us out, light in this broken land
We will overcome by the blood of the Lamb
And the word of our testimony, everyone overcome
He never sinned but suffered as if He did
All authority
Every victory is Yours
All authority
Every victory is Yours
Savior, worthy of honor and glory
Worthy of all our praise, You overcame
Jesus, awesome in power forever
Awesome and great is Your name, You overcame
Power in hand speaking the Father's plan
You're sending us out, light in this broken land
We will overcome by the blood of the Lamb
And the word of our testimony, everyone overcome
As a side note for my Favorite Song Fridays - I have decided that I am not going to do it every Friday. I don't want to share just ANY song that I like, I want to just share songs that really mean something to me and really are my favorites. So instead of doing it every week, when I have a song that I do want to share and post on here, I am going to dedicate Friday's as the day to share them.

This is beautiful and I'm so blessed that you invited me to that wonderful concert!
ReplyDelete