Monday, October 6, 2014

Guest Bathroom: Board and Batten

Back in March, right around the same time we were making some changes to the guest bedroom, we finished making some updates to our guest bathroom. I STILL don't have it decorated or anything, but the major changes have all been done. Someday I'll get all the little stuff taken care of :)


Ever since we got everything done, I've been meaning to do a post about it and possibly even explain how we did some of the stuff we did. But now that it has been six months since we did it, I really don't even think that I could remember all of the details anymore... I pretty much followed the steps as outlined on this post from the blog Thrifty and Chic and I'm pretty positive that she does a heck of a better job explaining than I would, so I'll let her do that part of it :)

Up until this point, for the first year and a half that we lived in our house, the guest bathroom had been just a poor, neglected room that just got all the random basics that we had from our old apartment. My motivation for actually doing something with the bathroom came from the fact that Jocelyn was going to be living with us for a few months, so I had to figure out the measurements of the room, go out and figure out the best materials to buy, and just get it done!

Here's the room we were working with:




I started by painting the top part of the room in the color Polar Star (Valspar) in a Satin finish. It is a gray color with a little bit of a blue undertone. The bottom part of the walls is Ultra White (also Valspar) in a semi-gloss finish.




The wood that we ended up going with was primed MDF from Menards. The vertical pieces were 1x2s and the horizontal pieces were 1x4s with 1x2s sitting perpendicular on top of them (except for the section above the toilet which had a 1x4 on top of a 1x4). We also removed the baseboards and replaced them with 1x4s so there wouldn't be any overhang from the vertical pieces. 

Trent removing the baseboards
Each piece of wood was attached to the wall with either glue or nails or both. Not all of the pieces were perfectly straight, so when there were gaps between the boards and walls, we fixed it with caulk before painting over the bottom again. (We actually caulked around each board in every place it was attached to the wall to prevent any water from getting behind it, but just paid extra attention to the places where the gaps were larger than normal.) The floor also wasn't level, so we had to fill some spaces with wood filler. After everything was up on the walls, I painted over it all again with the white semi-gloss paint. 





A gap that we filled with the wood filler.

The whole thing has a lot of flaws and isn't perfect by any means, but hopefully it's good enough that most people wouldn't notice... 



When all the painting was done, we hung up some new hooks on the walls and a new shower curtain. I wanted to hang the shower curtain higher than the old one was, so that required me to find a longer one. I didn't have much luck finding a shower curtain that was long enough as well as being a price that I wanted to pay. Lucky for me, while I was perusing Target one day, I was checking out the clearance items on one of the end caps and saw a table cloth that was a pattern I liked and happened to be some dimensions that I could work with. So for less than $10 I had found my new shower curtain. 


The only other items that I have in the bathroom at the moment are two candles that match the color in the shower curtain and some new rugs, but hopefully some other things will join it in the near future... I also want to frame the mirror like Thrifty and Chic did here, but at the rate I'm doing anything lately, we'll see if it ever gets done!

So for now, this is our guest bathroom. Much better than what it used to be!








And some before and afters:




No comments:

Post a Comment