Monday, April 25, 2016

Samuel Davey - Eight Months


Weight:
We didn't have a checkup this month, but we did go to the doctor a few times to get checked out for some sicknesses. At the appointment on March 28, he was 21lb 6oz and then we went back a few weeks later and he was 21lb 12oz. We'll see if we cross over the 22lb by the time he goes in for his 9 month appointment!

Height:
No official height this month, but he's not getting any shorter :)

Clothes:
He's holding steady in anywhere from 9-18 month onesies - the 9 month ones are pretty tight and the 18 month ones are pretty baggy. He's in 12 or 18 month pants and 12 month pajamas.

Sleep:

This month had a few rough nights, but overall it was not so bad. There were definitely some really good nights and some bad nights! On average, Samuel slept 9 hours and 58 minutes a night with the longest being 12 and a half hours (!!) and the shortest with the longest streak being 3 hours and 10 minutes (egh!). In those few nights that he was up every few hours, I thanked my lucky stars that we have a baby that, for the most part, sleeps very well! I would be worthless to society if I had a baby that consistently didn't sleep through the night. Makes me rethink wanting to have another baby and taking that chance ;)
Samuel has started not going right to sleep every night too. There are nights where it takes at least an hour to get him to finally give in and go to sleep. I'm still not sure what's up with that, if it was maybe just because he wasn't feeling well or if he was going through a growth spurt or something, but hopefully we can get back to what we've thought was our normal very soon!
Napping still isn't great... he sleeps between 30 and 60 minutes each day at daycare, and he usually falls close to the 30 minute side of the spectrum, but I guess we're getting by. We just have to deal with a less than happy child when we get home at night before it's bedtime!

Likes:

Samuel still sticks everything in his mouth and grabs whatever is within his reach. Since he is figuring out how to move around, he is even able to get things that were once out of his reach! We really have to start thinking about what's around him! He's pretty fearless at the moment too! When I'm sitting with him in a chair, he will just dive right off my lap for something that he sees. I haven't let him fall yet, but Trent says it will just take one time and he'll figure out that he can't do that anymore. I'm not willing to let him find out, though! :)
He loves food and has really started to get impatient between bites. He has started eating Puffs and he really likes those, too! We haven't found anything that he won't eat yet. We are trying to start working on having him eat finger food and feeding himself. He has gagged on a few things (which makes me sad) but I think he'll get it!

Dislikes:
Samuel dislikes being put down and left alone! I am pretty sure (positive) that it's an act, but it works on me every time! He has a touch of stranger danger to go along with his separation anxiety, but, after a little while, he warms up to most people! He just needs a little time. 
So we need to work on his patience and coping/self soothing, but I'll give him a break. He's only eight months old! :)
Samuel doesn't dislike much, but when he does, he'll let you know!! 

Firsts/Milestones/Development:
Samuel has started trying to pull himself up on things. He doesn't quite have the combined arm/leg strength to stand up consistently, but he can usually always get to his knees. They said that he's pulled up a time or two at daycare for a few seconds, but I know the day of him doing it all the time is near!
He is also getting very close to being able to crawl. You can tell he wants to, he just hasn't quite figured it all out quite yet. For now, he has figured out that he can get where he wants by rolling around and by laying on his belly and using his legs to slide where he wants to go. I love that he is getting to be mobile, but I have to admit it scares me a little! I don't really know if I'm ready for that yet!

He is really chattering more and more. He has really got the "mama's" down this month. I hear them the most when he's whining or crying, but I still like it! He's got the M's and the D's down and the "baba's" are becoming more frequent as well. Sometimes I think he knows what he's saying when he says "mama" or "dada" but I'm not fully convinced yet!

Samuel has definitely figured out how to wave this month! He doesn't do it every time you say hi or bye, but when he does, it is the cutest thing ever! Trent's parents were here one weekend this past month and every time Samuel saw Trent's mom, he would wave at her. It was adorable. When Samuel waves good-bye to me when I leave daycare, it just melts my heart! I stand there far longer than I should every day when I leave trying to get him to wave at me! My mom and Nick both got Samuel on video waving this last month. You can see the videos here.

Samuel is getting the hang of the whole clapping thing. It's not something that he does a lot, but he can definitely do it!

He also went through a phase where he liked to kiss me at the end of March. His kisses were open mouth, slobbery things! I'm not sure if he did that to many people, but I got a few wet ones! Add that to the list of things that I never want to forget!

We celebrated Samuel's first Easter this month. It is one of the holidays that I can't wait to teach him all about! He looked pretty adorable in his bowtie!

We started going to swimming lessons this month! We went to Aqua Tots to try it out and I think it was great. This place is solely for swimming lessons for kids, which I like! When you go in there, the whole place is meant for kids to swim unlike a YMCA or something else where there are 100 different activities you could be doing there. The staff knows you're there to swim with your baby! Everyone was super nice and helpful and it was just a nice experience. We did a free trial lesson and it went pretty well. There are, at a maximum, four kids per class, but none of the other kids were there that day, so we got our own little private lesson the first time. It was a half hour and she moved pretty quick. I think Samuel was pretty overwhelmed at times and didn't quite know what to think, but, overall, I think he liked it. We intend to sign up and start going every week, but they didn't have room for him to start in a Saturday class the week following our free trial and we were going to be busy the next week, so I just need to call and sign up for real now. I'm excited to have this be our thing and for him to learn to love swimming! :)

Nana and Papa came to babysit a few times and one of the times they brought Taylor along to help (while Papa helped Daddy with the deck)! I know Samuel loved having them here and I love that he and Taylor got to spend some time together as well! She was a such great helper!

Samuel also got to take his first trip to the zoo with me and his Grandma Kock. He really seemed to like looking at all the fish in the water in the aquarium! He also stared at the giraffes for a while before taking a much needed nap! He slept until we walked out the gates an hour later! I can't wait to explore the zoo time after time with him and discover what his favorite animals will be!
In the shark tunnel part of the aquarium!
 Last and very much least, Samuel had another double ear infection at the end of March. We could tell something was up because he wasn't sleeping well, so we took him in and got some medicine to get it taken care of. He then had a lot of mucus and gross stuff going on a few weeks later, so we took him in and he had a sinus infection. He's still got a lot of mucus going on now, but I'm starting to think it's maybe a touch of allergies or something. It's no fun to see and hear him have to work hard to breathe out of his little nostrils when they are filled with snot!! I'm glad we have a doctor who is on our side and doesn't look at us like we're crazy when we want to have him looked at all the time. The peace of mind is totally worth it!

Another month is in the books! I can't believe how close we're getting to the 12th month!! *tear*
I posted this picture of me with Samuel having been in my belly for 35 weeks (8 months) and the comparison picture of him having been out of my belly for 35 weeks. I NEVER could have imagined how much I would be in love with this baby at that point when he was still on the inside. We sure are lucky to be his parents!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The reason I may be done taking this pictures by myself. I had to keep him from diving off the chair after each picture!
Curious little guy!


That face!


Over it! This is the best I did with him on the floor with the bear this month...
Real life!

No comments:

Post a Comment