Thursday, May 5, 2016

Samuel's Nursery

During my pregnancy, when I thought about how I wanted to decorate our baby's room, I knew that this room would be something that I would remember and appreciate probably more than our baby ever would. I didn't want to spend a ton of money on it, but I wanted it to be a "pretty" space that I liked to be in and would make me smile. With that in mind, I made sure that the bigger items were things that could grow with our child while making the details things that would show our love as parents for the newest member of our family. And I think that we accomplished all I wanted to with this room.

When I walk into Samuel's room in the mornings to get him out of his crib, I still can't believe that this is the baby who I had thought and wondered about during all those hours I spent planning this room during my pregnancy. I couldn't have dreamed up a better little human being! I want to forever remember the way he repeatedly mumbles "mama" from his crib when he wakes up, the way he smiles at me when he sees me walk through his door in the morning, how he reaches up his arms to me to pick him up out of his crib, and how he hugs my neck tight when I get him out before looking at me, smiling, and then burying his face in my neck and kicking his feet in excitement!
 
I wanted to be sure to take pictures of Samuel's room as it is now so I could remember what it was like when he was just a baby! I know it can't and won't stay like this forever. Now that I have the room documented, I also don't have to hesitate the next time Trent asks me if we can start to redecorate his room with trucks or dinosaurs or something really boy-ish. I can't wait until Samuel can tell us what his favorite things are that he wants to decorate his room with, too!

When I was planning the room, I, of course, wanted to keep it gender neutral and not too babyish, but still look like it was meant for a baby! (If that makes sense) I picked some colors that I thought were gender neutral enough (mostly navy blue) and would work with either boy or girl colors after our baby was born. If Samuel was a girl, I was going to mix in colors like coral and, if he was a boy, it could stay the way it was. I knew he was a boy, though. ;) 

Of course, I copied a lot of ideas from Pinterest and tied together what I could to make it a pretty room. We purchased a chandelier from Lowe's and Trent's mom helped me put up wallpaper in the closet to start out. Trent's parents also helped to paint the room and modify/paint the crib which has been used by a lot of babies in Trent's family. We purchased furniture and other items from IKEA, Nebraska Furniture Mart, Lowe's and The Land of Nod and then finished it all off with a newly framed cross stitch prayer that was in my room when I was growing up, a shelf that was repainted by Kenzie, a few gifts that just happened to fit in with the decor and some framed maternity and ultrasound pictures.

The room was as complete as could be before Samuel was born, but there were a few finishing touches that didn't get put in place until weeks or months after he joined us. One of the items I finished afterwards was the shadowbox with items from the day he was born and the biggest item was the crib - which was in our room for the first six months of his life. Of course, there are clothes, toys, books and stuffed animals that are steadily filling up his room as well!

Here are the pictures of our precious little boy's room!

Chandelier from Lowe's
Chair from Nebraska Furniture Mart

"Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep" cross stitched prayer made by my mom and hung in mine and my sister's
rooms when we were growing up. Reframed at Michael's.
Gray and White striped basket from The Land of Nod
Hamper from Target
Large white Virserum frames from IKEA. Left frame has left over wallpaper from the closet and
the verse on the right was designed and printed by my Aunt Doreen.
Crib is a hand-me-down through Trent's family. It was modified and painted by Trent's parents.
Crib sheets are Aden and Anais - purchased from Amazon.  
Dresser is from Nebraska Furniture Mart.
Gro-Egg Room Thermometer (Orange thing on the right of the dresser) from Amazon
Mirror from Target
Frames (Virserum and Haverdal) from IKEA
Maternity pictures by SM Photography
"I have called you by name" print from SheReadsTruth
Shelf used to be our fireplace mantle and is from Pottery Barn - repainted by Kenzie
Globe was at my Grandma Jons'
Chalkboard easel from Michael's
Little wooden truck was a gift from Samuel's Great Grandpa Kock
Little shoes were Trent's
Reed and Barton Bunny Music Box from Aunt Melodie and Uncle Russ and the girls before Samuel was born
Little angel was from Samuel's Grandma Kock on the day he was born
Esteban from Aunt Kellsey
"On Eagles Wings" plaque from Aunt Kellsey and Uncle Wade on Samuel's dedication day

Bunny piggy bank was Trent's
Printable from the internet somewhere...
Vivan curtains from IKEA
Wallpaper from Amazon
Navy cubes from Great Aunt Doreen and Great Uncle Nick at Baby shower
allen + roth closet shelf and rod from Lowe's (installed by Trent and Papa)
Kallax cube shelf from IKEA (I notice that it's not centered in the closet every time I am nursing Samuel, but never remember to do anything about it!)
Gray and white striped baskets from The Land of Nod
Navy basket from The Land of Nod
Pillow design cross stitched by Samuel's Great Grandma Jons and made into a pillow by Sheryl Podey at the request of my mom
Knoppang Picture Ledges from IKEA
"Dream Big" sign from Trent's students and staff
Navy frames and shadowbox from Michael's
"I heard you were expecting me" onesie from thecompany33 on Etsy
Heartbeat print from ArtsyVoiceprint on Etsy (heartbeat provided by Samuel)

No comments:

Post a Comment